The following are listed as objectives of Calderdale & Kirklees LOC:
- To advise the Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCG) on matters affecting optometrists and dispensing opticians undertaking general ophthalmic services in the area.
- To enable optometrists and dispensing opticians undertaking general ophthalmic services in the area to formulate collective views on the administration of the services and in particular to make suggestions for their improvement and to transmit them to the CCG.
- To disseminate information about the general ophthalmic services among optometrists and dispensing opticians in the area and to assist individual optometrists to understand and to comply with their terms of service.
- To work with the CCG and GP Commissioners in setting up of Locally Enhanced Services and in the performance monitoring of such schemes.
- To consider any complaint made to them by any optometrist against any other optometrist practising in the area for which the committee is constituted involving any question of the efficiency of the general ophthalmic services.
- To advise the CCG on matters affecting optometrists in relation to the hospital eye services, the scope and efficiency of those services, and in connection with the provision of ophthalmic services from Health Centres, Clinics and the like.
- To carry out such other advisory or consultative functions as may be incidental to or assist in the attainment of the above objects, including liaison with Patient’s Forums within the area.
- To organise Continuing Education for Optometrists and dispensing opticians